Members may post comments, leave messages, and exchange ideas.

Posting On This Page

At the bottom-right of each post appears "0 comments", or "1 comments", or any number of comments. Clicking on these words will take you to a page where you can leave your own comments. Any comment of particular interest may be given its own post, and you may leave comments on that post as well.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Mr. Ron Payne

In the year 2000, shortly after receiving the rank of SHO DAN-HO at the age of 37, I found it very difficult to continue training. Injuries came more frequently and maybe 4 months into my SHO DAN apprenticeship, I quit Shotokan completely.

At the age of 27, I was challenged by one of my co-workers to try ‘Karate’. There was a dojo in Baldwin and since both of us lived in the neighboring town of Freeport, I agreed to give it a try. Working construction had put me in relatively good shape, but Shotokan presented a much tougher workout. I remember to this day the pain in my feet. The instructor led the class through warm-ups, then “basics” and no one wanted to be singled out. Sensei always seemed to be having the most fun out of everyone in the dojo, always had a smile on his face, even while administering the necessary corrections liberally.

It was at the dojo that I learned the most powerful lesson ever, humility. I had worked my way through construction for years and had my own business. I had several employees and worked hard to keep us all busy. For a young man, I was relatively successful, I was in control. When I stepped onto the mat for the first time, I realized that none of that meant anything and that in this new environment I knew nothing!

If you need help, it helps to be humble. Here at the dojo were people of discipline, people who had achieved, through practice, amazing abilities. People younger and older than me were striving for their own personal milestones while inadvertently developing the ability to control aggression, to harness violence. Looking back, at 27, I was well on my way to losing my way; Shotokan saved me and helped make me who I am today.

Today at 47 I am now maybe 4 months back into my apprenticeship, I must first get back to where I left off at SHO DAN-HO. The miracle of medicine has my arthritis in check. Re-learning or remembering kata is fascinating now, muscle has memory and when it kicks in, it’s really cool. Interacting with old friends and new students is much more rewarding now. Still, Shihan seems to be having the most fun of all, always a smile while administering the necessary corrections liberally.

It is good to put on the Gi again; it is good to be in the company of Shotokan again.

No comments: